Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Immigration #1 in the South

Immigration is No. 1 voter issue
Nov. 8, 2006 01:35 AM
Immigration No. 1: Arizona Republic readers said immigration was the No. 1 issue driving them to vote in Tuesday's election. The Republic's daily question asked, "What issues are bringing you out to the polls?" Immigration garnered nearly 37 percent of the responses, followed by war with 22 percent. All immigration measures won overwhelmingly.

A few hours prior to this article I was arguing with my mom and dad who live in Arizona and who were adament about the war being the overwhelming reason why the Republicans lost control of both the Senate and House. I said, no. Yes the war is a terrible thing, but in the end, it was not the #1 issue for why the voters voted the way they did (though I believe many exit polls will say that voters said it was due to the war as to why they cast votes against Republicans, but I don't believe it was the primary reason).

I am surprised that the Democrats gained as many seats as they did. Any comments? Any Girardian views on the election outcomes?

Peace
Aramis

No comments: