Sunday, June 10, 2007

Embed Experiment: Zappa, Inca Roads


Not for everyone, this Zappa piece is nevertheless a brilliant composition, at least in Porthos' personal canon, especially the 2 1/2 minute guitar solo that starts 2 minutes in--one of the best and most searching guitar solos ever. Nice percussion and xylophone, too.

The breathless techno video presentation/message is well-done but not of interest to me--it's just that this is the only YouTube of the studio version of Inca Roads . . . I do not endorse the philosophy here, which for the most part is alien to me. (I hope the author who was nice enough to put it together does not mind that ungrateful reflection . . .)

5 comments:

Athos said...

McLuhan was a staunch opponent of unbridled technology, and Ray Kurzweil's Singularity is Near is all for transcending the merely human, in good gnostic fashion. Tuh-hell with what God created; we want MORE! No limits!

D'artagnan said...

me thinks we should just make our own vid (O:

granted, I have never grown to appreciate the Zap-man on record.Like Jazz or Bluegrass, his stuff for me, is best served hot (live and in person).

Porthos said...

Yeah. I've actually written against the singularity thing before (machine theology). Techno-Utopianism is going strong and will have to be taken on. Mark Gordon writes good stuff in this area!

McLuhan is, I think, a more complicated figure whom I have not read.

Again, I did not choose this for the video presentation (or the art) but for the Zappa piece (which is, among other things, a spoof of Chariot of the Gods, I think). Actually, I chose it mainly for the guitar solo. I can't find the studio version of Inca Roads anywhere else . . .

Will take this down if it is too tonally off. I did get to try out my embed capabilities, with your good advice. That done, I can keep Inca Roads to myself.

David Nybakke said...

SO, the question is, does Porthos want this Zapvid nailed up -- or rather, by using technically enhanced strokes on the keyboard, does he want to make this vid into a permanent link on our side bar?

Porthos said...

I would hesitate to put this Inca Roads vid on our sidebar, Aramis. I just like the guitar solo and the musical composition. (The guitar solo was actually recorded at a concert and spliced into the studio piece.) I'd even delete the post for the sake of the blog's tonal and aesthetic consistency, except that youziz comments are already on it and that would be deleting your words without permission.