Thursday, March 19, 2009

Consumption society has created indifferent human beings unable to communicate

René Girard from his book, Evolution and Conversion: Dialogues on the Origins of Culture

Jean Michel Oughourlian interpretation of the passionless individual; namely, contemporary individuals aren't strong enough to have mimetic desire. They aren't passionate about anything. This is something I used to believe could never happen, but now I am more open to it. Consumption society, which was 'invented' partially to cope with mimetic aggressive behaviour, has eventually created these socially indifferent human beings unable to communicate with each other and mainly concerned with what is strictly accountable in their life, in the sense of self-interest. p 251

2 comments:

Athos said...

I have read Evol. and Conversion, Aramis, but I didn't begin Mimesis and Theory. Have you?

I am about to reread after nearly 3 decades Nouwen's Clowning in Rome which begins,

When we reflect on current events we realize that our world is in a constant state of emergency...

David Nybakke said...

Dear Athos,

$40 (had been $50) always kept me from reading the book.

I always found Nouwen a good read yet I a few times I would get a slight hint of liberation theology working its way in, but he is well worth going back over.