Saturday, November 22, 2008

What Song or Songs Have Stuck in Your Heart?

The Ecstasis of St. Cecilia
Raphael, 1514

Today, the 22nd day of November is the feast day of St. Cecilia, the patron saint of music. She was said to have had always a song in her heart for Christ. Monsignor had us smiling a bit during his homily this morning as he remembered songs that had gotten stuck in his heart (or mind) over the years - songs like, Hotel California and Frosty the Snowman.

I almost hate to admit the songs that got stuck in my mind over the years...

My wife and I have realized how important music is to our sensibility and so we make a point to listen to good and inspirational music as much as we can. Today we are stuck on the soundtrack of Chiara E Francesco. (I just recently ordered the movie with English subtitles, Clare and Francis.) The music featured in this film is by Monsignor Marco Frisina. The one and the same who created this little ditty. (Turn it up)

1 comment:

Athos said...

My middle school students are each giving an oral presentation of poetry this Monday. I gave them an example of an introduction by telling the story of James Taylor and Susanne, reading "Fire and Rain," then having them listen to it sung by Taylor.

All the live, long day it pranced around in my mind, with me, of course, singing snatches of it aloud to the amusement of my students all day.

But the good news is, it's juust about time to pull out the Christmas carols. I know, I know, we're supposed to wait till after Advent, but why not get the great songs lodged firmly in my short term memory before the schlock of commercials fills them?

And, don't forget to listen to Britten’s Ceremony of Carols - a better day than St Cecilia's Feast Day cannot be found.