Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Lord, make me more like 'Anna'

If you want to understand the central message of my book, A Little Guide for Your Last Days, here it is:
VATICAN CITY, JUNE 28, 2009 (Zenit.org).- Benedict XVI's visit last Sunday to San Giovanni Rotondo, where Padre Pio is buried, served to disclose the meaning of pain, a Vatican spokesman affirmed.

Jesuit Father Federico Lombardi, director of the Vatican press office, noted in his weekly editorial on the Vatican Television program "Octava Dies," the "unforgettable" witness made by a woman named Anna who greeted the Pontiff during the daytrip.

"The Pope's travels are not only important because of what the Pope says and does, but also because of the sentiments and words that they stir up [in others]," the spokesman said.

Anna met the Holy Father at the entrance of the Casa Sollievo della Sofferenza (Home to Relieve Suffering), established by St. Pio of Pietrelcina, popularly known as Padre Pio.

"I didn’t ask myself, 'Why me?'" she told the Pope, when recounting how she reacted to a diagnosis of cancer. "But instead I said to myself, 'Why not me?'"

She said that she would pray, "God, what plan do you have for me?"

"Like the Virgin and so many other worthy and holy people," continued Anna, "I didn’t want to rebel, but wanted to say: 'Here I am. I'm ready.'"
Read more here.

No comments: